One year ago, I laid out my wish list for Avon for 2012 and said I would check back in a year. So let's take a look at where we are on some of these items. In a future post, I'll tackle my wish list for 2013.
- A diner. Sadly, I'm still waiting on this one. That said, I have taken a liking to Avon Country Deli and from popping in a few times on the weekend, others have found this little hidden place. And for my lunch cravings in town, Fabiola's really should get more press than it has. But don't get me started on how the a place named the Colony Grill messed up. A Grill without a grill? Pizza only goes so far and with all the other good places in town, the space remains up for grabs for now. Maybe someone can make a successful diner there? I can still dream.
- Some tangible progress in replacing the bridge on Old Farms Road and reworking the road around Avon Old Farms. Better news on this aspect. The State has committed to funding this project and an environmental assessment was to have started this fall. So, kudos to town manager Brandon Robertson for continuing to push this long-dormant but badly needed project.
- Peace among the BOF, BOE and Town Council. If there is peace, its still a pretty cold peace. But the major publicity-generating battles between the BOE and BOF seem to have cooled down to just a heated disagreements. Will full day kindergarten be the next battle? We shall see.
- Continued progress on the Avon Village Center proposals. Still nothing shovel ready, but the master plan was approved earlier this year. Hopefully, developers will start thinking ahead to the possibilities this project will bring.
- Consideration of a traffic light at the corner of Country Club Road and Lovely St. Since this is a state road, it has to await state action. Unfortunately, we're still waiting. The town wants it; do we have to wait until there's another accident (like the Avon Mountain crashes)?
- New Technology in the Schools and a Technology Coordinator. Good job by the Superintendent to make some major progress on this front. The new media room at the High School is one tangible example of this. But technology can get old quickly; its important to the school's strategic plan to keep on top of it.
- More e-books at the library. The library is coming off a great year. The new Library is terrific. And landing the Lincoln exhibit is a big coup too. The limits on e-books are driven in part by e-readers (I'm looking at you Amazon) but hopefully more titles can continue to come online soon.
- Growth for local businesses. Things still remain tough. Yes, some business have opened but there are still plenty of empty store fronts on Route 44 (and that stretch from the old bank to the old Dakota's is starting develop that eyesore feeling). But if you ask people, things seem to be picking up this quarter. Will it last? We shall see.
- No ice-storms or natural disasters. Sandy. Oy.
So, overall, not a bad set of predictions for 2012. And what will 2013 bring? Stay tuned to a future post. In the meantime, what's on YOUR wish list for 2013?