The show opened Nov. 29 and runs through Dec. 28.
One of Avon's own, Eric Murphy is in the ensemble, along with other local children. This year's show also has new lighting, costumes and special effect to spruce up the production for the holidays.
"A Christmas Carol’s world of flying ghosts, Tiny Tim, and Ebenezer Scrooge will dazzle anew with a refurbished set; many redesigned costumes; enhanced flying effects and choreography for the ghostly apparitions; the introduction of additional characters; and the latest in lighting design technology," a press release from the Hartford Stage states. "Over the past 15 years, more than 250,000 Connecticut families have been thrilled by Dickens’ supernatural tale, which introduced the exclamation 'Bah! Humbug!' and popularized the perennial greeting 'Merry Christmas.'"
Bill Raymond reprises his role as Ebenezer Scrooge for evening shows and Charles Turner will take on the role for the student matinee performances.
Maxwell Williams directs this year's show. Original director Maxwell William, who created the adaptation, supervised the production. United Technologies sponsors the show.
The Hartford Stage is also offering special events to enhance the theatrical experience:
- 'A Christmas Carol Experience' package: These special tickets include "unlimited hot cocoa," candy bars, cookie decorating and photo opportunities with costumes from the production, according to the press release. This package is $10 on top of the ticket price for matinee performances on Dec. 14, 15, 21 and 22.
- 'Behind the Magic' behind the scenes experience: The cast hosts a behind-the-scenes look at the making of A Christmas Carol and the special effects that "make ghosts soar through the air" and make "snow fall," the press release states. This costs $5 on top of the admission price for the Dec. 15 show.
- Family Fun Night: The ghosts from A Christmas Carol will be greeting families and "kids of all ages" at the Thursday, Dec. 19 performance at 6:30 p.m. The actors will be available after the show for autographs. The event is free with the purchase of a ticket.
- Market Days: Local vendors will be selling gift items for your holiday shopping from 12:30 to 2 p.m. in the lobby at the Sunday, Dec. 15 matinee show.
For more information or to purchase tickets, call the box office at 860-527-5151 or visit www.hartfordstage.org.
Local Children in the Cast
- Eric Murphy – Avon
- Lauren Cassot – Simsbury
- Sammy Weinstein – Simsbury
- Ben Stone-Zelman – West Hartford
- Bridget Dawson – West Hartford
- Meg Conner – West Hartford
- Sophie Alter – West Hartford
- Jack Wenz – West Hartford
- Bill Raymond: Ebenezer Scrooger (evening performances)
- Charles Turner (student matinee performances)
- Curtis Billings as Fred, Young Scrooge
- Robert Hannon Davis: Bob Cratchit
- Rebecka Jones as Mrs. Fezziwig, Mrs. Cratchit
- Sarah Killough as Ghostly Apparition, Fred’s Sister-In-Law
- Johanna Morrison as Bettye Pidgeon
- Spirit of Christmas Past, Old Josie
- Michael Preston as Mr. Marvel
- Alan Rust as Bert, Spirit of Christmas Present, Mr. Fezziwig
- Noble Shropshire as Mrs. Dilber
- Jacob Marley
- Charlie Tirrell as First Solicitor, Undertaker
- Gillian Williams as Fred’s Wife, Belle
- Lexi Alioto
- Jenny Brescia
- Patrick Chittendon
- Alex Dilallo
- Jacob Grannan
- Michael Coale Grey
- James Hussey
- Laura Sue Johnson
- Timothy Longo
- Rebecca Maddy
- Andrew Mazer
- Madison Obery
- Emmaline Riley
- Julian Sarria
- Tiana N. Bailey
- Alexander Bilodeau
- Luciana Calcagno
- Padraigh Fitzgerald
- Miranda Flood
- Silvan Friedman
- Tyra Harris
- Campfield Heinrich
- Emily May
- Aidan McMillan
- Dermot McMillan
- Allegra Rosa
- Ankit Roy
- Ava Rozmajzl
- Aleksei Sandals
- Brandon Szep
- Tony Straiges: Scenic design
- Alejo Vietti: Costume design
- Zach Brown: Original costume design
- Robert Wierzel: lighting design
- John Gromada: Original music and sound design
- Hope Clarke: Choreography
- Ken Clark: Musical direction
- Derric Harris: Assistant choreographer
- Gillian Lane-Plescia: Dialect coach
- Sarah Killough: Dance captain
- Christina Pellegrini: Youth director.