From the Office of State Senator Kevin Witkos
Last week, the General Assembly celebrated the end of the 2012 legislative session. Thousands of bills were proposed and only a few hundred passed out of the House of Representatives and the Senate and await the Governor’s signature. At 12:00 a.m. on May 9th, the session was declared adjourned sine die. This Latin term literally means “without day” referring to the adjournment of the activities of the legislature. Many other states also use the term to describe the end of their session.
This year’s session was the “short” session because it was only three months long. Much was packed into that time frame, and I decided that hosting a series of Town Hall meetings would allow me to share information about the legislation that was discussed and passed into law with you. From Sunday sales of alcohol to education reform, budget adjustments to storm response, the General Assembly tackled many issues over the past three months.
However you feel about these issues, I encourage you to come out and join me to learn more about the legislation and ask me any questions that you may have. Some of these events will be hosted by me while others will be hosted by my colleagues in the House of Representatives. Please see the following schedule of Town Hall meetings in our district:
- New Hartford – Town Hall, Senior Center Meeting Room, 530 Main Street; Tuesday, May 15th at 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Torrington – Town Hall Auditorium, 140 Main Street; Wednesday, May 16th at 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Granby – Town Hall, Meeting Room, 15 North Granby Road; Thursday, May 17th at 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Avon – Town Hall, Selectman’s Chamber, 60 West Street; Wednesday, May 23rd at 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Simsbury – Eno Memorial Hall, Youth Room, 754 Hopmeadow Street; Thursday, May 24th at 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Canton – Community Center, Room F, 40 Dyer Avenue; Wednesday, May 30th at 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
If you cannot make one in your town, I encourage you to attend another nearby. The meetings are a good opportunity to discuss the laws that were passed and any other thoughts or concerns that you may have. For up-to-date information about these meetings and other issues, please visit my website at www.SenatorWitkos.com where you can sign up to receive email updates. It is my hope that you will come out and join me at one of these events. I look forward to seeing you there!
Sen. Witkos (www.SenatorWitkos.com) represents the 8th Senate District, including the communities of Avon, Barkhamsted, Canton, Colebrook, Granby, Hartland, Harwinton, New Hartford, Norfolk, Simsbury and Torrington. He can be reached by phone at 1-800-842-1421 or by email at Kevin.Witkos@cga.ct.gov.