Home at 4 Freedom Drive in Canton Destroyed by Fire Wednesday Evening

Couple at home got out safely.

A single-family ranch at 4 Freedom Drive was destroyed by fire Wednesday night but a couple at the home was able to get out safely, fire officials said. 

Firefighters responded to the home at 5:09 p.m. Wednesday and arrived to an active fire. 

"The fire was well involved on arrival," said Richard Hutchings, chief of the town of Canton Volunteer Fire and EMS Department.  

Members of the Canton department and other area departments responded.

Hutchings said the Farmington Valley Tanker Task Force was activated to provide a second source of water. Canton firefighters set up a portable pond from which to draw water but in the end an area hydrant provided enough to fight the fire, Hutchings said. 

The fire was deemed "under control" at 5:58 p.m. 

The weather provided some challenges. Runoff water created some very slippery conditions in the area as it froze on the roadway. 

Initial emergency radio reports indicated propane tanks and possibly a vehicle were involved. Hutchings confirmed that there were two grill-sized propane tanks on the back porch and a van in the driveway was likely "secondarily" involved. 

He did not have a cause for the fire but late Wednesday evening said Canton Fire Marshal Adam Libros was on scene. 

"We're looking at everything," he said. 

A couple at the home was able to get out safely, Hutchings said. Senior and Social Services Director Claire Cote responded to the scene and helped coordinate arrangements with the American Red Cross. In a statement sent to the media, the Red Cross said it was helping "with emergency housing, food and clothing needs" as well as other items. The assistance is free of charge.

Connecticut Light and Power was also called to the scene. During the fire, some sparks were seen due to live wires to the house but Hutchings said other area homes did not lose power.

The home was built in 1956, according to the Canton assessor's office.

Linda Betances January 03, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Chris, You hit the nail right on the head!! My father was once a Canton Volunteer Fire Fighter, as well as many others that lived and still live here in Canton. Prayers to all of them and all the rest of the brave people that take pride in our towns and give their support and time to help those in need, hopefully you Jason, will never be in a position to need their help!
Linda Mahoney January 03, 2013 at 09:27 PM
I also was a member of the Collinsville fire dept. EMS, the training is unbelivable. Fires are horrible for everyone!
Lowell Humphrey January 04, 2013 at 12:20 AM
While "Jason" is free to post his comments I wish he would put himself in the place of those volunteers who spent hours fighting flames, freezing temperatures, and icy conditions and then come home to read his remarks. Fortunately I am confident that not one of them will be dissuaded by such snarky commentary.
Shelby York January 04, 2013 at 12:34 AM
I want to thank everyone on the canton fire and ems for being an amazing group of volunteers! I would love to see "Jason" try to be in any of your shoes during a response to a fire or medical emergency.
heather fin January 04, 2013 at 01:07 PM
Im glad to seethe the red cross is helping this couple. We got no assistance from anyone when our house burned down last march. 5 people and 3you dogs standing in the snow with no shoes and no where to go. Thank god neighbors grabbed us clothes and sluppers and set up a hotel for us. My heart goes out to this family. Its a long hard road after a fire.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »