Update, 7 p.m.
Voter turnout reached about 28.2 percent in Avon as of a 6 p.m. tally.
Here's the turnout broken down by voting district:
- District 1: 859, including 94 absentee ballots, or 28.1 percent.
- District 2: 610, including 56 absentee ballots, or 31.47 percent.
- District 3: 600, including 35 absentee ballots, or 27.7 percent.
That is a boost in this primary in comparison to the presidential primary when about 599 voted, or 15.2 percent of registered Republicans, according to Registrar Laura Hunt (R).
"I would see more people are voting Republican in town today," Registrar Ann Clark (D) said.
However, at this point the voter turnout is less than voted in the 5th District primary two years ago, Clark said.
Polls close at 8 p.m. Check back with Avon Patch for the results tonight.
Update, 3:09 p.m.
Here's an update on voter turnout Tuesday thus far at the polls:
- Voting District 1: 483 eligible voters have voted, or 15.9 percent.
- District 2: 341 have voted, or 17.59 percent.
- District 3: 351 have voted, or 15.8 percent
That means that 1,175, or 7,213 eligible Republican and Democratic voters in Avon have been to the polls, or about 16.3 percent.
Update, 10:56 a.m.
About 504 of the 7,213 registered Republicans and Democrats in Avon have come out to vote so far in Tuesday's 5th District and U.S. Senate primaries, Avon Registrar Ann Clark (D) said just before 11 a.m.
That amounts to about 7 percent of registered Republicans and Democrats that are eligible to vote in the primaries.
Here's the break-down by voting district:
- Voting District 1 (Avon High School): 215 people have voted, which is 7 percent of eligible voters in that voting district.
- Voting District 2 (Avon Volunteer Fire Department, Company 1): 138 have voted, which is 7.1 percent of eligible voters in that district.
- Voting District 3 (Roaring Brook School): 151 have voted, or 6.7 percent of elegible voters in the district.
Update, 9:26 a.m.
If you're one of the 3,897 registered Republicans or 3,316 registered Democrats in Avon, you're eligible to vote in Tuesday's 5th District and U.S. Senate primaries.
Here's the break-down of registered voters by district:District Polling Place Registered Republicans Registered Democrats Total Registered Voters 1 Avon High School 1,643 1,408 3,051 2 Avon Volunteer Fire Department, Company 1 980 959 1,939 3 Roaring Brook School 1,274 949 2,223 Total 3,897 3,316 7,213
It's Tuesday! Do you know what time it is? You know what time it is. Time to vote!
The polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. for registered Republicans and Democrats to vote for their favorite candidates in the respective primaries. While unaffiliated voters can vote in the November election, independent voters are not eligible to vote in the primary.
Avon District 2 Tuesday for the 5th Congressional District and U.S. Senate primaries. It's located at the at 25 Darling Drive. District 1 votes at and the District 3 polling place is .
For , click on the link provided. To learn about how you can verify your voting district and to view the sample ballot, .
Check back throughout the day for our primary day coverage. Avon Patch will post the results as soon as they're released Tuesday evening.
Also, are you campaigning or holding signs in support of your favorite canidates? Upload your photos and videos to the photo gallery attached to this article.
Candidates, it's also never too late to start blogging. Post your reaction to the results and any photos you took on primary day in our Local Voices section.
Who do you think will win your respective 5th District and Senate primaries? Why? Tell us in the comments!