After sifting through social media this week and reading some Facebooks, here are some notable Avon-relevant news tidbits, tweets and pages.
- The tenth anniversary of 9/11 is approaching Sunday and the invites to public to join them in a Weekend of Remembrance. According to the department's Facebook page, a blood drive is scheduled for Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and there will be a memorial service Sunday at 8:30 a.m. Both events are going to be held at the Company One fire house at 25 Darling Drive in Avon.
- When Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene traveled through Avon, a portion of Secret Lake Road was flooded, as were some yards. The Secret Lake Association, which includes Avon and Canton residents, has a Facebook page. Residents posted photos and videos of the flooding on the page.
- The Little Gym in Avon is now following Avon Patch on Twitter. Its latest tweet is: "Following the leader... We're using our superkid listening skills in the gym this week while following the 'Teacher Creature'!"
- Avon Attorney Dave Moore and Avon resident Brian Parker are both radio personalities on Hartford Online Radio Network, or onthehorn.com.
- Kathryn Boughton of the Litchfield County Times reported Sept. 5 that a photograph of the statue outside the Avon Free Public Library of a young Amy Toyen holding a teddy bear and a book is part of the Connecticut Historical Society's 9/11 exhibit.