The following information was provided by the town of Avon.
- At this point, it appears that Avon may see significant power outages as a result of sustained winds of 70 MPH and potentially heavy rain by late Monday morning.
- Please use extreme caution when traveling, as driving conditions may be hazardous by Monday morning.
- Given the potential for widespread power outages, residents are encouraged to have enough food and water on hand for up to three days.
- The Town will communicate storm response information via CT Alert (our emergency notification system), WTIC radio, on the Town website, and via Community News email.
- To receive emergency messages via your cell phone or by email, please visit http://www.ctalert.gov/ctalert/site/default.asp to sign up.
- Avon Public Schools will be closed on Monday, October 29, 2012. A decision about Tuesday will be made and communicated by early Monday evening.
- The Town will activate its Emergency Operations Center at 8 a.m. on Monday, October 29, 2012.
- The Emergency Shelter at Avon High School, located at 510 West Avon Road, will be opened at 8:00 p.m. on Sunday, October 28, 2012, as a precaution for Monday morning. Please bring personal items - blankets, pillows, toiletries, medications - if you plan to stay overnight.
- Please note the following important contacts:
- For Emergencies, call 911
- To reach the police for non emergency matters, call 860-409-4200
- To reach Emergency Management, call 860-409-4390
- For Town Hall information, 860-409-4300
- To reach the State’s United Way Info line, dial 211
- To reach the Emergency Shelter (once activated), call 860-404-4747
For additional information/tips, please visit the Emergency Management Services webpage, at http://www.town.avon.ct.us/Public_Documents/AvonCT_EMS/index