As Avon athletes head out onto the field, court, course and gridiron at the start of fall sports seasons, many new faces will be leading the charge.
The school board reviewed the following new hires on the Avon coaching staff at its meeting toward the end of August. Some listed are returning coaches whose contracts are renewed:
Avon High School Cross Country
- Courtney Fusco is volunteering as the new boys varsity coach, replacing Eugene Macy who resigned over the summer
- Albert Dadario returns as Avon High School's girls cross country coach.
- Terri Zimnicki returns as Avon's girls varsity field hockey coach. She was recently named to the Connecticut Coaches Association Hall of Fame.
- Cathy Creasy's contract was renewed as the girls developmental team coach.
- David Zlatin, last year's junior varsity boys soccer coach, has been hired to fill the varsity coach post after Patrick Mulligan resigned from the head coaching job in June.
- James Murray returns to coach the varsity girls soccer team after back-to-back state championships the past couple years.
- William Brisco is the new boys junior varsity soccer team coach, replacing Tyler Webb, who resigned.
- Jeanine LaBrosse returns to coach the junior varsity girls soccer team.
- Kyle Kramek is the new boys developmental soccer team coach
- Andy Shayler's contract is renewed as the girls developmental soccer team coach
- Curt Burns returns as the varsity girls volleyball coach.
- Amy LaPorte returns as the girls junior varsity volleyball coach
- Meredith Poltorak returns girls developmental volleyball coach
- John Kostal is the boys varsity crew coach.
- Eric Rosow is the new girls varsity crew coach, replacing Sarah Jorgensen, who resigned. Volunteer coach Soo Passmoor also stepped down.
- Pam Rosow and Christopher D'Lugolecki return as assistant coaches.
- Diana Palombo was recently hired to coach the varsity cheerleading squad, replacing Betsy Sanborn, who resigned.
- Kirston Sprague is the new cheerleading assistant, replacing Renee Dumas-Rodriguez.
- James Caouette is the new varsity football place replacing last year's coach, Brett Quinion, who retired after the season.
- Thaddeus Scott, Tom Aldrich and David Michaud are newly hired as football assistant coaches.
- Bill Woods returns as the junior varsity coach and varsity assistant coach.
- Cortney Dunlap returns as a football assistant coach.
- Frankie Brown and Malcolm Brown are new assistant developmental team coaches.
- Roy Walton returns as a football volunteer coach.
- Varsity offensive coordinator Gregory Todd and assistant coach Mark Tyler resigned.
- Athletic trainers Karen Chase and Brett Inlow resigned, leaving Alison O'Connor as the sole trainer, according to the Avon High School athletic department.
Want to keep our readers updated about your team? Coaches, players, team managers and parents, we invite you to start a blog on Avon Patch, post updates and photos to our community boards and post sporting events in our calendar. We'll also be launching an open sports blog for any Patch user to upload game photos and information about Avon teams. For more information, email Avon Editor Jessie.Sawyer@patch.com or Community Editor Jaimie Cura at Jaimie.Cura@patch.com.
Don't forget to like Avon Patch and follow @AvonPatch on Twitter for more local sports news and photos.