Donna Nestler-Rusack, assistant superintendent for teaching and learning, gave an overview of the results at the Board of Education meeting on Oct. 15.
She told the board that there were increases in each subject area of CAPT and that Avon ranked first in District Reference Group B (DRG) in mathematics and science, according to the Board of Education Brief prepared by the Communications Subcommittee on the meeting.
Schools in Avon's DRG bracket include Bethany, Brookfield, Cheshire, Fairfield, Farmington, Glastonbury, Granby, Greenwich, Guilford, Madison, Monroe, New Fairfield, Orange, Simsbury, South Windsor, Trumbull, West Hartford and Regional 15.
Here are some of the highlights Nestler-Rusack pointed out by subject:
- Student averages at or above proficiency increased by four percentage points from 95 to 99.
- Average scores at or above goal jumped by five percentage points from 81 to 86.
- The average percentage of students at or above proficiency increased by two points from 96 to 98.
- The average percentage of students at or above goal went up by four percent from 70 to 74.
- Writing scores saw slight increases at one percent from 87 to 88 of all students scoring at or above goal and two percent from 97 to 99 of all students scoring at or above proficiency.
- 97 percent of all students scored at or above proficiency, a one percent rise over last year.
- There was a seven percent jump in students scoring at or above goal from 76 to 83.